When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


12/23/09

'Tis the Season

Parker is psyched about Christmas. Every part of it. He told me tonight he was going to eat up Jesus' birthday cake before He came. Hmmm...I'm not sure it's a good idea to mess with the Almighty's dessert.

Tonight we went to our friends' house for dinner. When we left, Parker said, "Thanks for having us, Carrie and Paul...Merry Christmas to you - all day and night!"

For the last few mornings the first words out of his mouth have been, "Is it Christmas yet?" When we say no, he isn't disheartened. He smiles and says, "I didn't think so, [then in his high-pitched excited voice] but it's coming soon!"

I am really glad he is excited again. For a brief time, he seemed pretty depressed when he realized there was a "naughty list." See, he tries so hard to be good, but sometimes it's just not possible. I mean, he is after all, only 2. There are messes to be made, Ipods to break, sisters to smack, etc.

I certainly didn't help his insecurities the day I picked up the phone to dial Santa. He had just nailed Maddie with a toy again and was screaming his little head off because she dared to pick up a toy he'd set down a few moments ago. When I told him who I was calling, he literally threw himself at my feet, wrapped his arms around my legs, and sobbed, "Pwease don't call him!"

Needless to say, I have backed off my mean-mommy/vindictive Santa approach, and the joy of Christmas has returned. Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment