When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


12/26/09

Vain

A few days ago we were at a department store when we noticed Parker staring at himself in the mirror. He carefully brushed a few strands of hair off his forehead and said aloud, "I look so good in this mirror."

What?! I know he's never heard me or his dad say that. I was getting worried that he was becoming vain. Later in the van, he seemed to be talking to himself. He said, "Hello, gorgeous!"

Again, I was a little concerned.

That night he asked me to watch Alvin and the Chipmunks movie with him. It has been running in the background of our home all Christmas season (since Daddy is home and doesn't worry about constant television rotting his little brain the way mommy does). As I sat with him, I heard Alvin admiring himself in a mirror, just as Parker had done. In another scene, the Chipmunks stumble across a cabinet full of food and exclaim, "Hello gorgeous!"

Relief washed over me. But then, so did fear. Parker was an absolute sponge. I think it's time to pull the plug on the TV. Let the whining begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment