When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


3/23/10

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

Well, usually, it was just the worst of times...What am I referring to?
Simply the times when my mother-in-law has seen me over the past 10 years. We have not lived in the same state in the last decade. Typically, the only occasions during which we have spent extended amounts of time together include when Aaron and I are:

Moving into/out of a new place (not just a residence but a new city/state)

About to have a baby (imagine bloated, hormonal, uncomfortable me...not my finest hour)

Just had a baby (again, bloated, hormonal, uncomfortable, add in sleep-deprived)

In town for the holidays (trying to spend equal amounts of time with each family, schlepping our stuff, rushing around)

Those of you who know her, love her. It's impossible not to. She's just one of those people...never met a stranger, gracious, funny, generous, always ready to have fun. In fact, when I got engaged to Aaron, my girlfriends wanted to know if she could birth a few more sons just so they could have her as a mother-in-law. She's awesome.

So it's a real bummer she has only really spent time with me when I've been in virtual crisis over the last 10 years. I was hoping when we moved home, that would change. However, it's not looking good for the home team. See, we are currently living in her basement until our house becomes available.

Just this evening, she saw me in all of my matronly glory, banging around her unfamiliar kitchen, snapping at my children who were crying and hanging on my legs while I tried to cook dinner. Lovely.

Hope she doesn't give up on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment