When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


6/14/10

Biting me...

In the behind...That's what's happening with my parenting techniques. Parker is using them against me!

Yesterday he said:
"Mommy, when you say things like that, like 'You can't have anymore fruit snacks today,' it makes me not want to be around you or do nice things for you."

I happen to use that phrase when gets too rough in his play [hitting or spitting] or when he says mean things to his sister.

Then he turned my own words against me today. A work crew was cleaning up a huge tree limb that knocked down a phone line connected to our house. Parker had been begging to go outside so he could watch them use the chainsaw and talk to them. I allowed him to go onto the porch. Then, of course, he just wanted to ride his bike in the driveway. Please, mommy!

So I dragged the hose across the driveway to create a boundary. If his front tire so much as touched it...
He assured me he understood and biked happily in circles while he watched the workers at the other end of the driveway. I went inside to finish cleaning the dishes, watching him from the window. He edged his bike right up to the hose then quickly glanced at the house. I waved and gave a warning look. He smiled, waved back, and backed away.

I ran upstairs to check on Maddie who was happily destroying the playroom. When I glanced out the hall window, he was turning on the hose. Fearful of the phone wire on the ground nearby, I threw open the window:
"Parker Jacob! Turn that hose off right now!"
He looked up, startled, and ran to turn it off.

When I came downstairs, he entered the back door, lip quivering.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Mommy, you said, 'Parker Jacob, turn that hose off right now,' and that wasn't a very nice way to ask me."

"I'm sorry, honey." I explained, "I was nervous about the water being on around the phone line. I needed to get your attention right away."

"Well, next time you could just say, 'Please, Parker Jacob, could you turn that hose off?'"
I had a hard time keeping a straight face. Then he said, "Let's give it a try," and he ran to the back door so I could re-enact the scene in a more polite manner.

1 comment:

  1. you have got one very smart kiddo! I LOVE it!! just goes to show you that your consistency in parenting is soaking in! so great! :)

    ReplyDelete