When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


8/21/10

Filter

We all have random thoughts. Parker's are just instantaneously on his lips. Most people have a filter in their brains, allowing them to decide if their thoughts are relative/appropriate before sharing them. Parker's inability to perform this function makes for some pretty amusing exchanges.

He recently asked his cousin, "How much does your dog weigh?" She answered, "About 100 pounds." Parker's response? "I don't like spider webs."

There is a part of me that will be saddened when he begins to filter his thoughts, as we all eventually do. Right now there is something refreshing about his unintentional honesty. His complete transparency is endearing and adorable...most of the time.

I can think of only a handful of instances during which I was truly embarrassed by the random thoughts and observations spilling out of his little mouth. The day we visited a restaurant where the hostess happened to be a little person, for example.

As Parker stared at her thoughtfully, I silently prayed he would keep quiet for once in his life. He seemed to understand she was not a child, but he couldn't quite understand why an adult would be so small. When she seated us, he stood on his highchair, pointed down at her, and shouted to me: "Mommy! She's little!" I just wanted to sink into the floor. "Sit down," I hissed. "But she's so little!" he continued to shout, confused at her size and my response.

We had a long talk about how God makes everyone differently. Explaining that it could hurt people's feelings if you point out those differences, I asked him to whisper his future questions or observations about people he perceived as "different" to me.

Did I mention that in addition to lacking the ability to filter his thoughts, Parker also lacks the ability to whisper? Every heard of a "stage whisper"? It's where characters on stage make their voices raspy, but by no means quiet (so the audience can still hear them).

A few weeks after the restaurant fiasco, the kids and I were walking down the street. As we passed a disabled person on crutches, Parker shouted in a raspy voice, "Mom! He's different!"

Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment