When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


12/27/10

Reason #367 it's good to be home...

My mom is here to take care of me when I'm sick.

I know I sound like a big baby, but I don't care. There is no one like your mom when you are sick. I remember getting sick during our first years of marriage. Aaron was very sweet and would check on me occasionally. Then Parker came along. Aaron cared for Parker, and I fended for myself. Then Maddie came along...It wasn't pretty.

Then, in the spring of this year, we came home to Kentucky [cue the Hallelujah Chorus].

I caught a terrible stomach virus on Christmas night. I was up all night. I'll spare you the details. The next morning, Aaron suggested I go to my mom's. After a brief phone conversation with my wonderful step-dad, I was on my way (pink Crocs, green polka-dot robe, p.j.'s, and unbrushed hair - not a good look).

I was ushered into a warm, clean, toy-free room and put in a comfy bed with fresh sheets. A few hours later, mom entered the room quietly. She asked how I was doing. She carried a large, white tray lined with a bright, beautiful Christmas tea towel. Juice, tea, cream, oatmeal, brown sugar, and toast. "Eat whatever you want, honey, and just leave the rest. I'll get it later." She left as quietly as she came.

I had tears in my eyes. I flashed back to my childhood. I remember one time in particular when I was so ill, I couldn't make it to the bathroom. I hid the evidence under my bed and cried in my room. Mom came in and comforted me. She was surprised and concerned, not angry or annoyed as I had feared. She cleaned up everything, tucked me in bed, and stroked my hair.

Some mom's just have it. My mom is one of them. I don't think this kind of nurturing comes as naturally to everyone, myself included. That's one of the reasons I'm so grateful she's my mom. What doesn't come naturally to me, I learn from her. She makes me want to be a better person and a better mommy.

Thanks, mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment