When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


4/4/11

Nesting

I can't seem to stop cleaning. I'm not talking about the daily toy pick-up, laundry, and sweeping. I'm talking about obsessive attacks on drawers, wiping baseboards of closets, and using my label-maker until the batteries have run out.

Have I surpassed the normal nesting habits of a pregnant woman? I'm not sure. I think I have some obsessive-compulsive tendencies that are exacerbated by pregnancy. I can't decide if it is a good thing or a bad thing. I truly enjoy these futile exercises. Crazy attempts to impose order upon my life.

The craziest part of all is that I am longing for someone to notice. To ooh and ahh over the shoe holder in the front hall, or to ask for a piece of tape and gaze in admiration at my organized junk drawer. I know it's all in my head, and I'm the only one who really cares. But does that stop me? Well, no.

There is always another project rolling around in my brain...The jewelry drawer, the craft area in the basement, the tool drawers in the garage. I know I can't continue this pace indefinitely. I will need sleep at some point. I think I might try tackling one drawer/shelf per day. That sounds reasonable...I think.

If ever I am in doubt of whether or not my behavior is over the top or inappropriate, I need only listen to my critics (I mean, kids). They are a great barometer. For example, if I've been on the phone too much in one day, I will hear, "Mommy, stop talking on the phone!" Or "Mom, can you just ask if my friend can come over and then hang up on his mommy right away?"

I suppose if they ask me to stop cleaning, I'll know I've gone too far.

No comments:

Post a Comment