When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


7/22/11

A Golden Age

There are times when life is just good - when the kids are loving and oddly compliant, when your husband is overly-attentive, when friends (with generally hectic schedules) are readily available, when God just seems nearer somehow. Sometimes they are fleeting moments, like when the I catch the kids singing to each other at nap-time after a particularly rough morning, and sometimes they seem to stretch on and on.

This is one of those golden times. Our dear neighbor, Alex, is visiting us from Seattle. She is an anomaly. She has the exuberance one might expect from a teenager but also demonstrates responsibility, emotional maturity, and selflessness that are well beyond her years. We love her!

I was a little nervous that her visit was to occur so near my due date. I didn't want to go into labor and have her feel awkward about moving in with my extended family. I also didn't want to miss out on time spent with her myself. Plus at 38 weeks pregnant, I was concerned I couldn't be an attentive hostess and that she would be bored.

Of course, God's timing is flawless. Jack has not arrived, and if Alex weren't here, I would be drumming my fingers, snappy with the kids, cleaning like mad, etc. Her visit has been just what the doctor ordered. I find myself letting little chores slide, playing quietly with the kids in the mornings while she sleeps (she is a teenager, after all), and relaxing.

In addition to having Alex here, the kids' behavior has been, well, odd. Not bad odd, wonderful odd. I don't know whether or not this is a reflection of my own relaxed attitude, but they are so cooperative and loving it's almost spooky. Some days I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. For example, yesterday morning, they played with the same puzzle [sharing it - *gasp*], for nearly 45 minutes. The would build it, break it, and giggle, "Wanna do it again?" I took a video [mostly to prove to myself later that it was not a hallucination].

I have such mixed emotions right now. There is a part of me that wants to press the Pause button, that doesn't want anything at all to change, that will miss having relaxed breakfasts listening to just 2 tiny voices sharing the adventures they had in their dreams the night before, having enough arms to encircle both little bodies as I read a favorite book, etc. Then there is the other part of me that can't wait for that other shoe [or baby, rather] to drop. I can't wait to walk and not waddle, to push the kids on the swing without getting winded, to smell an infant again, to introduce the kids to their brand new brother.

For right now, I am just trying to enjoy our Golden Age and recognize that "to every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment