When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


9/23/11

Being a grown-up

This morning Parker threw Aaron under the bus...big time.
As he was drinking his milk, he said, "You know, mom, Daddy breaks all the rules."
I was wiping down the counter.  "Oh really?"

Parker: Yeah.  Last night, he gave us [pausing for effect] chocolate chips...in the living room...while we watched a show!
Me: Hmmm...
Parker: Maybe you should have a talk with him...

I chuckled.  I have to give Aaron credit.  He did, after all, take all 3 kids so that I could go to Bible study by myself last night.  It was wonderful.

I explained to Parker the order of authority in our house.  I explained that mom and dad were on the same team, and dad was kind of like the team coach.  I smiled, "One day you will be the daddy and have to make lots of decisions, too."

Parker let out an exasperated sigh.  "I know mom.  I know what it's like to be a grown-up."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah.  You have to be patient with kiddos, be kind, do good responsibility, don't mess everything up, don't knock down buildings..."

Thank goodness he understands the importance of resisting the urge to destroy buildings.  We must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment