When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


12/4/11

All for me

I totally had an epiphany tonight!  I was driving in the rain and listening to the radio when a beautiful song came on.  It's called How Many Kings by Downhere.  I've heard it many times before and been moved by the beauty of the singing and the lyrics.  I was singing along and came to the part where they sing about how Christ died "all for me [and] all for you." 



I caught myself thinking, 'Wouldn't it be nice if that that were true.'  I have always struggled with the concept that Christ died for me.  I've always been more comfortable with the idea that he died for us [the whole world].  I mean, why on earth would he be willing to endure such torture and ultimately sacrifice Himself if it were simply to save little old me?  Sure, I've read the parable of the lost sheep.  I have the head knowledge that he'd leave the other 99 to come save me, but in my heart, I've always doubted.  It just didn't make sense to me. 

As the song played on, a story I'd seen on TV popped into my head.  It was about a mother who used her body to shield her two children when a tornado ripped through their home.  The ceiling was literally falling on her and breaking her back (leading to permanent paralysis in her legs) as she selflessly covered her children.  I am sure the thought ran through her head that she might die.  I mentally put myself in her shoes and knew in an instant I would not have hesitated to shield my children, even if it meant I had to bear excruciating pain and possible death.

Then my thoughts drifted a bit further.  What if I only had one child to shield?  Would I make the same sacrifice?  What a no-brainer!  Of course I would.  Each of my children is equally precious to me.  I would die for one or all, it wouldn't matter. 

I finally got it!  Christ died just for me...and just for you.  I am so excited that it finally makes sense to both my head and my heart!  I love how the gift of parenthood keeps on giving and giving.  I'm not sure I would have grasped this concept without it (though many Christians obviously can and do).

I am especially excited because now I can explain it to my kids with confidence.  It is my sincere hope that one day they, too, will understand this truth and positively revel in Christ's amazing love!

P.S.  Here is a link to the show about the mom who saved her kids...
http://nashville.about.com/od/extremehomemakeoverintn/Extreme_Home_Makeover_Tennessee_Style.htm

1 comment: