When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


2/20/14

The Ultimate Parent Equation

I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say, "Wow!  Four kids!  I don't know how you do it!"

When I had 3 children, I would often hear, "Whew!  Three?!  I only have two kids, and I'm struggling.  How do you manage?"

When I had 2 children, the parents of only children would smile and shake their heads.  "I can't even keep up with one," they'd say.

You get the idea.  I have thought and thought about this phenomenon.  Finally, I discovered the ultimate parenting equation.  The one that makes life make sense again…Wait for it….

X- 1= easy life

X is the number of children you have.  X must be greater than 0 (i.e. you must be a parent of at least one child) for this equation to make any sense.

You see, when you have your first child, no matter how much you love said child, you will likely reminisce about the days when you were child-free, free to park your car at the gas station and "run in" for some coffee or gum, free to pee by yourself, free to sleep through the night or stay up all night and sleep in the next day.

Then you went and had another baby.  Sure it was precious, but oh how much easier it was with only one baby!  No juggling the car seat on one arm and the toddler in the other.  One grocery cart was big enough for groceries and children.  It didn't feel like you were inconveniencing people too much when you asked them to watch your one child, but now that there are two, well…might want to get a sitter.

And on and on and on…I can't tell you how easy it feels to take three kids around with me at a time.  Add the fourth, and whoa Nelly!  It's another story.  So I hate to break it to you, parent readers, I guess this equation means that if you have had one child, you've had one too many.

Just kidding, of course.  But it does make you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment