When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


4/2/14

I'm up

It's kind of late.  Everyone is in bed (including Aaron), but I'm up.  I'm up packing lunches, making snacks, readying backpacks, washing shorts (because I haven't done laundry all week and Parker's completely out).

And it's the craziest thing…I'm not bitter.  Not even a little tiny bit.  I was lying in bed an hour ago, making a to-do list for tomorrow, when I realized I'd be better off getting a head start this evening.  There was a time when I would have resented these chores.  I would have been grumpy that I was up all by myself slaving away (oh the drama!).  I somehow felt entitled to a more lofty position or higher calling than scraping dried banana bits from the highchair and floor.  But, by the grace of God, that's not where I am this evening.  Instead, I am grateful.  I hear the dryer preparing tomorrow's shorts, see the bread and toaster waiting on the counter, the backpacks on the table, and I feel content.

I feel as though I have finally entered into my seasons of grace as a mom.  This is our family's Golden Age.  The one where the kids get along most of the time.  The one where they are considerate, demonstrative, funny, and fun.  The one where I am still cool in their eyes.  We actually enjoy each other's company.  We can be silly or serious.  We still do The Kissing Hand (a great read if you need a children's book to aid with goodbyes), cuddles, tickle fights, bedtime prayers and kisses.

So it's a pleasure for me to take the time tonight to do what I could put off until the morning.  To avoid the mad dash.  To squeeze in some extra cuddle time before releasing them into the world.  To thank them in a small way for being such amazing little people.

Good. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment