When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


1/11/17

My Joy

Tonight I went in to check on the kids before turning in to bed.  What an age of innocence reigns right now.  I push Maddie's mess of curls off her forehead and press my cheek against her skin.  "I love you," I whisper.  "You are a good, good girl, and I love you so much."  She doesn't stir.

I flip off the bathroom light on the way to the boys' room.  Tripping on cars, I make my way to Parker's bed.  His face is buried in pillows.  Just a hint of cheeks peeks at me.  Enough to kiss and nuzzle.  "Your mommy loves you," I whisper, moving away as he turns his head on the pillow.

Jack is mumbling something from the top bunk, and a smile spreads over my face.  There is something about checking on the kids at night...Sometimes I just need to peek in and see the tops of their heads above their blankets.  Other nights I want to hear them breathing.  At times, I will kiss their sleeping faces until they squirm.  But Jack, just hearing that adorable, small, strong voice is enough for tonight.  I won't interrupt.  Keep dreaming those big dreams, son.  Tell me all about it in the morning. 

I step over Caleb, stretched out on the trundle, his head dappled in silvery moonlight.  I'm drawn to the window, my eyes peering through the branches of the tree just outside.  How is it that the moon can be so timid and distant some nights and so bold others?  Tonight the light is practically blasting through the leaves, bathing everything in an ethereal glow.  Amazing.  Try as I might, no smartphone picture will do justice to this beauty.  No matter, there are other beauties awaiting my attention.

I make my way back to the blond haired boy lying low and bend to kiss his face, my hand resting on his tiny chest.  With one thumb tucked in his mouth, his other hand finds mine, tiny fingers curling around my thumb.  My heart squeezes, and I stand still, bent, savoring.  Untangling myself, I stumble through the toys and sit at the desk, anxious to capture the sweet moments my camera cannot.

My joy is full tonight.  These recordings are only a fraction of the blessings of the day.  Aaron's safe journey to Malaysia, good news from the doctor, finding my car in the parking garage, having great girlfriends over for tea after the kids were put to bed - all good things.

There is a also a sink full of dishes, two racks of laundry to fold, homework folders to sign.  All waiting for me.  Also, all good things.  I am writing tonight to remember.  How easily I can overlook these daily joys - big and small, obvious and obscure.  But not tonight.  Tonight I will record and remember and be thankful.

Good.night.

1 Thessalonians 5:18  In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.


No comments:

Post a Comment