When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


5/26/10

Gestures

It's the little things Parker does that make me the happiest. Small, kind gestures that can erase an entire day of whining from my memory.

Parker crept into our room a few mornings ago, followed by Aaron and Maddie. I was surprised. Typically I am awakened by Maddie's cries.

"Tell mommy what you did," Aaron prodded Parker. Parker looked nervous. Uh-oh. Usually this kind of directive was followed by a confession.

But then, Parker smiled and said, "Maddie woke up and was crying for you. She was saying, 'Momma! Momma!' and you didn't come, so I went in and got her and I sang her Si-i-lent Niiiight and it made her feel all better."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

On a different day we were visiting Aaron's cousin, Jason, his lovely wife, Jen, and their adorable son, Ben (19 months). All the kids were playing in the yard while the parents talked up on the deck. Maddie began playing with a push-toy. Ben ran over to grab it. Parker, alerted by Maddie's screams, rushed over and grabbed Ben's wrists, holding them in the air until the parents intervened.

Now, granted, it could be argued he used unnecessary force with a child who was a year and a half younger, but it warmed my heart to think that he was somehow defending his baby sister.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last night, Parker was drinking his "bedtime milk" at the kitchen table. He was getting sleepy and ready for his routine. "Mommy," he said between sips, "what are you grateful to God for today?"

I had been rushing around trying to get everyone ready for bed. The question made me pause. (We usually asked this at nighttime once he's been tucked in bed to kick off our prayers.) I sat next to him and told him I was thankful for the food He gave us today, for Daddy - who is such a great daddy, for the beautiful day He made, and for Parker and Maddie.

"What are you thankful for?" I asked him.

"You."

Wow. In one word, he made my entire day.

No comments:

Post a Comment