When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


5/15/10

Poop in the tub, Part II - Convicted

Today the kids were playing in the wading pool in the back yard. I was feeling pretty pleased with myself [read: cocky], as I watched them. Both wearing protective, long-sleeved swimwear, sunscreen slathered from head to toe, carefully supervised. Yeah, I had this mom thing down.

When went inside for drinks Maddie suddenly made a funny face, clutching her swim diaper. Uh-oh. I checked, and sure enough, it was full of...it.

Picking her up, we rushed to the tub. For anyone who has removed a wet, skin-tight piece of swimwear and swim diaper from a toddler, you know that there is no way to accomplish this task gracefully. I watched in horror as my perfectly sanitized tub once again became a cesspool of germs. Bitter that Aaron didn't find it and have to clean it first, I yelled aloud, "I really hate my job some days!" Seriously, when was my weekend off?

Now the kids are clean and napping, the tub is disinfected, but I am still feeling a bit yucky. I've been working on a Bible study during the kids naps. You know that term, "convicted" we Christians like to toss around - when the Holy Spirit speaks to us through the Bible to nudge us in the right direction or, as in this case, slap us in the face? Well, today I was convicted. Two verses in particular were like arrows to my heart.

That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil - this is the gift of God. - Ecclesiastes 3:13

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. - Colossians 3:17

My work is a gift from God. Even the the yucky parts. I can choose to do everything with praise and thanksgiving, or I can be bitter about it. It's not a matter of sucking it up and biting my tongue...it's about being truly grateful.

So today, I choose to be thankful and praise God for my poopy kids. They may make messes, but they're mine, and I am blessed to be called their mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment