When your daily activities are in concert with your highest priorities, you have a credible claim to inner peace. – Hyrum Smith


12/25/09

Merry Christmas!


Well, the first part was merry. Parker came running down the stairs, "Santa came! Santa came!" After admiring his tool bench and fireman coat, he said, "Oh! I have one other thing I need to check real quick..." He ran to the mantle and stood on his tiptoes. Satisfied his stocking was stuffed with candy and small gifts, he returned to his tool bench (where he played all day).

Maddie, on the other hand, was not so happy. She was fussy and clingy and feverish. She took a long morning nap and awoke, coughing, shaking, glassy-eyed. I was scared. After leaving a message for the on-call doctor and waiting half an hour, I started driving around to urgent care centers. All closed.

I got back home and finally talked to the on-call doctor. We were instructed to go to the ER. Over 6 hours later, we returned home to a tired dad, a lovely [cold] Christmas dinner, and a little boy who didn't want to go to bed.

The worst part about it was missing out on Parker today. I so wanted to play with him and his toys and just share a laid back Christmas day. It made me so grateful to all of the ER doctors, nurses and pharmacists who worked today - away from their own families - so they could care for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment